Have you lately been brooding over the question “how to patent something” then congrats you have just come to the right place. Here on this blog all of your quarries will be answered. Before we begin it is necessary to understand as to what patent means exactly.
Patent is the legal authority provided by the government to an individual, business person conferring a right or title to sell and use an innovation, idea or product. Patents are the exclusive rights given by the government to an individual or entrepreneur to use a specific innovation/idea/product for a specific time frame. If you need more info on what a patent is you can read this post too https://sites.duke.edu/perspective/2018/11/12/bringing-ideas-to-the-world-with-inventhelp/.
Now, once you have understood as to what exactly patent is, the next step would draw you closer to know how to patent something. The next step involves understanding the type of patents granted by a government.
There are majorly three types of patents provided by the government, which is listed below:
1. Utility patents: patents can be obtained on anything which is tangible or can enable a skilled person to use and make it. Any machine, process or substance which has utility value is called utility patent.
According to United States Patent Law anything which is capable of drawing benefits or has desirable results are utility patent.
There are about three categories of utility patent:
- Operability Utility: – An innovation which can be operated.
- Practical Utility: – the innovation must be capable of being used in the practical world.
- Beneficial Utility: – the innovation must be capable of being used in the practical world.
2. Design Patent: – design patent is granted to those who have come up with a unique and novel design for specific innovation.
3. Plant Patent: – plant patent is provided to those who have come up with a unique reproduced plant.
Once you have understood the meaning and the type of patents which can be provided you can proceed towards filling the application form for getting patent. For filling the form keep the following points in your mind:
Disclosure: Do make disclosure of the invention which you have just come up with. Do record minute details of the steps as to how you come up with the idea of innovation. The disclosure should be written and it must be signed by at least three witnesses.
Drawing: prepare a drawing of the invention to draw the attention of the patent examiner. The drawing should clearly highlight the component of substance which is unique and new for the world.
Submitting application: the patent application thus filled should be submitted at the patent examiners office, who will determine whether or not patent should be granted to the applicant. The patent examiner goes through the crucial process of patent search before taking any decision. Learn more about patent application from Linkedin – https://www.linkedin.com/company/inventhelp also.